2 tablespoons mild-flavored oil (canola, grapeseed, or corn)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
4 stalks of celery, diced
6 large carrots, sliced thin
½ pound mushrooms, baby bella or white (bella adds more flavor)
1 rotisserie chicken or boiled whole chicken, boned and cut into bite-size pieces
2 quarts chicken stock
1 quart water
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large stockpot and cook onions, garlic, and celery until celery is soft and onion is translucent. Add spices and stir on medium-low heat.
- In separate pan, saute carrots until softened slightly, then saute mushrooms until color darkens, about 4 min.
- Add stock and water to stock pot, then add cooked carrots and mushrooms.
- Add chicken to stock pot.
- Simmer on low heat for two hours (quick version: simmer 30 min), then reduce heat to low. The longer the flavors blend together, the better the taste.
- Serve with warm bread and butter.